Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Maslyana

Maslyana is the holiday that corresponds more or less with Mardi Gras.  It's part of the week before Lent begins, when people enjoy the foods they won't get for the next 40 days.  Maslo is Russian for oil or butter (I know, what a great holiday already!)  So we celebrated by going out to the VDNHa, or the obligatory series of monuments to the acheivements of the Soviet Union that exists in the capital of every former Soviet Republic.  Hence the awesome architechture that you see here, and the women holding sheaffs of wheat.  It's fallen on hard times since then, and now hosts Expos.  They were selling souvenirs in the first hall in the photos.  And they were heating the place with a giant blower, which alternately freaked the kids out, and was a great attraction.  If I'd brought more funds I would have picked up some nice items, but I always feel like there's more time, and then run out!   


Here are the munchkins enjoying the delightfully freezing weather, bundled up against the ice-cold wind.  I could barely handle it, after about 20 minutes outside we had to leave. I, of course, was foolish enough to go outside without a hat, and that was my problem.  They were happy, but then again, they also had crepes (blini) with warm mashed bananas inside.  Yum!

No comments: