Friday, August 20, 2004

Long time, no sea!

Huge storm on Wednesday. Wind gusts of up to 180 kph (about 120 mph.) About a foot of rain in 24 hours. And the weird thing.... everyone came into work. The roof of the airport blew off, and the ferries and trains were cancelled. Yet, almost everyone showed up to their desk. It wasn't even mentioned internationally as a hurricane. It was just a heckuva storm. I need a reality check! Japan was all over the news as a hurricane with rather delicate gusts of 100 kph attacked Tokyo. They're hardy folks, there Kiwis. I am slightly less hardy, and did have to put in an order to have my roof fixed when I was awakened by a leak directly over the foot of my bed (which was busy housing my feet.) Winter down here can be brutal, not least because the storm and its winds came directly from Antarctica. Cold doesn't begin to describe. When living in St. Petersburg, it would routinely drop past 20 below (Celsius.) I was fine, but it was dry cold - here it's mould and damp and misery.
I wish I was a penguin.

No comments: