Thursday, October 07, 2004

I'm Back - Did You Miss Me?

My trip to America was a revelation. I've never seen my home through the eyes of someone whose only point of reference is Hollywood and trashy reality TV shows. It's an astounding place, full of different-colored, different-beliefed, different shaped (man, we're fat!), and definitely different economied people. I took the opportunity to tour NYC, which I have never done as a tourist. Statue of Liberty. King King's Empire State Building. Ellis Island. And of course, the highlight, when I turned the wrong way and we tried to walk by Madison Square Garden during the Republican National Convention. The little one was in heaven b/c there were men with sub-machine guns everywhere - guns are an oddity in NZ, and the police don't even carry them as a matter of course. I think he took a whole roll of film of just SWAT men.
Wellington is a nice return, if a bit cold. I've got visitors up the wazoo scheduled for the next few months, so for now I enjoy the calm. The opportunity to go to the gym - did I mention I've signed up for a tri-athalon in February? I must have been drunk.... thankfully, it's a "women's" event, and the distances being covered are short. However, I have to swim in the South Pacific, and we ain't talking wash-that-man-outta-my-hair S. Pacific, we're talking penguins and icebergs. I'm investing in a new bike... and a wetsuit!

No comments: