Many of you may have seen the movie "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray. I am living it. Instead of returning from a fantastic trip to McMurdo station in Antarctica, I am on Day 4 of waking up in Christchurch with a 4:45 AM phone call calling off the trip for 24 hours. Actually, that's not true. Wednesday morning we got on the plane and flew three hours before we had to turn around. Apparently the weather down there is crazy - it's snowing and moist - almost like rain. But it NEVER rains in Antarctica, so apparently global warming, believe in it or not, has affected weather patterns. And so.... I am hanging out in Christchurch, rapidly running out of clean clothes. If we don't go Friday morning, I'm going to have to throw in the towel, and head back to Wellington, my dreams of an Antarctic exploration dashed forever. (Note the tone of melodrama and self-pity... I think it springs from being bored, bored, bored!)
My next e-mail will contain more exciting info, like wedding details and the weather report for Wellington!
Signing off, awash with self-pity ;-) Dorothy
No comments:
Post a Comment