Tuesday, April 05, 2005

It's a lot of self-absorption

I have become one of those terrible people who speak incessantly about themselves, and usually on only one topic. I assume that my upcoming wedding is the most fascinating thing in the world, and others are dying for the latest update on how I have matched the placecards with the ring pillow - which I have. See - I'm doing it again!! But while I expect interest in the wedding, I am suffering from great guilt over the shower and the bachelorette party. I invited people to these events as a means of showing that they were included in my life, even if I couldn't afford to take everyone to the actual party. Now they all feel obligated to buy gifts. Sort of an uncomfortable feeling. The "gimme" aspect is not what this is all about, though I'm not so principled as to refuse to accept presents. Part of it, too, is that my man and I are in our thirties. If we've gotten this far with ratty old dishtowels, we can probably go out and buy our own. My good friend here and organizer of the shower (bless her!) keeps saying that it's a way for people to express their happiness. I wish I could believe that more, since I really think the consumer culture has subsumed a lot of folks' good feelings. Perhaps I should be less cynical and just enjoy? Definitely.

No comments: