Thursday, August 11, 2005

Bubble, Bubble, Toil & Trouble?

I am in Week 2 of my new job - largely adjusting to the mountains of paper and copious e-mails that between them threaten to engulf me. My office looks much like a prison cell, largely due to the frosted glass sliding door and the bare walls, devoid of anything but one picture of the hubby and son. I suppose this will change, and I'll soon have the typical Dept collection of eclectic tchotchke from countries no one in their right mind would ever travel to as a tourist. I can hardly wait!
It looks like I'll be travelling a lot for the next few months, between visiting family and familiarizing myself with the countries I'll be handling. Not sure of the effect of this on my attempts to establish some sort of familial routine. - Hard to call in a good night when you're 6 hours ahead!
Our house is fantastic, I'm glad I splurged on the rent. Super neighborhood, I can walk to the Metro, there's a veggie garden, all of the neighbors are sufficiently nosy (i.e. they will notice men in balaclavas, but hopefully not pay attention if I have to run by a window in my undies.)
The weather is best described as being the live lobster in the lobster pot. Sweat, grime and heavy sticky air. Ah, the joys of the swamp that is DC. I'm now one of those '80s working women - you know, in a suit and sneakers, change at the desk. A major fashion faux pas, but since it's a mile walk in the course of getting to work, I'm ensuring the future health of my tootsies. I am still wearing skirts, too, even though my legs are severely black and blue from moving (and dropping) furniture. I'll sacrifice them again when our stuff actually arrives, a week after never at this rate.

So, a lengthy update, but we're all fine, adjusting well to life in the U.S. and we haven't gotten any fatter, so I've checked off all the boxes on my to-do list!

No comments: