Kosovo was great - no one shot at me. My time in Georgia has definitely jaded me, though. There is great discussion of how poor this region is in comparison to Europe. And yet - they were light years ahead of most of rural Georgia, economically and democratically (I'm willing to debate on this topic...) Example: an individual receiving aid told me that a refrigerator is a "basic necessity." Um, no. Especially in a place with sporadic electricity! A culture of dependence is an evil thing....
Off to Albania mid-month. Can't wait - did you know there's a song? Check here in the comments. I will enjoy sitting on the coast of the Adriatic - but not as much as a weekend in Vienna. One of the great ironies of my current life is that I can't afford my rent, but I can travel to Europe frequently. Ah, well, as Maire Antoinette said, "Let them eat Austrian Air fingerfood at the Business Class lounge!" Or something similar.
Sorry to be loopy - we haven't gone out much lately. I must reemerge from my cubicle....
No comments:
Post a Comment