Vice President Joe Biden visited us here in Kyiv, largely to reassure the Ukrainians that a "reset" button with Russia was not a threat to our position of support for an independent Ukraine. He also delivered some tough messages on the need for the Ukrainian politicians to work on unity politically and economically, but the key point was really the "reassure" button.
He held an Embassy meet-and-greet on July 21st, the day after A and I returned from Iceland. So we were very, very close, but we couldn't go up and shake hands due to the 100+ screaming, groupie-like Peace Corps volunteers. I was fearfull of being pummelled in the stomach. But I got a photo, and for most of the speech, the VP was holding S's good friend and fellow 2-year old Keenan. I'm sure if he'd picked up our daughter (who we didn't bring) she would have squirmed, but Keenan was awestruck by the crowd - apparently he's also been held by President Bush, so I guess he's destined to go far. S is going to have to pave her own path.....
Speaking of our charming daughter, here is a photo of her enjoying her transition to a BIG GIRL bed. She is telling us here that this is her pillow and her blanket. It's taken some doing, largely assisted by our trip back to the States where, well, there just wasn't a crib. Some nights and even in the morning, I will still find a roaming toddler, which I'm not used to, but for the most part she's great about it. Next stop, potty-training.
And to wrap up July, Aaron went to Chornobyl (yes, that is the correct Ukrainian spelling - Chornyi means black) on the 30th of July with a visitor I had from Washington. I, for obvious reasons, did not attend.

Aaron tells me that the normal Geiger counter reading is low - around 10. Here's you'll see, on the outskirts of the area, that it's reading about 100. Oh, and he went back this week, so I hope we've had all of the children that we're planning on, since lord knows what all of these visits over 3 years will add up to!
1 comment:
Yay for the big girl bed! Congrats 'S'! Let's just hope she takes to potty training better than Cole! While he goes on the potty whenever prompted, he rarely initiates it himself.. perhaps because he pees approximatley every FIFTEEN minutes! he'd spend his life on the potty! Now that he is back at daycare full time I am sure she'll get him up to speed. Unfortunately this week our household was hit hard with the sniffles, so rather than deal with 2 drippy ends.. I think she'll start next week!
Post a Comment