
The abbreviated labor story (minus the "yucky bits") is as follows. I had sent the family off to the airport Sunday morning, to catch an 11:30 AM flight to NZ via LAX and Auckland. Mom and I spent the day sorting through clothes for the Purple Heart organization, which was to do a pick up Tuesday morning. (See the nesting instinct at work?) So we cleaned all day, and then Mom and Voo went off to a Holiday Open House. I wanted to nap, but I just felt funny, and restless, and I couldn't sleep. Around 5 I had an indication that something may be happening, but small enough that I thought I could wait for Monday morning's 10 AM appointment with the midwife.
But then, around 11:30 PM, there was a bit of water. I called the midwife, and she told me that I'd know if my water had broken (it never did with S) since I'd be all wet. I wasn't, so I went to sleep. At 2:30 AM I woke up with a contraction. This set off a huge chain of thinking that all made sense in the middle of the night - I'm having the baby, no I'm not, can I wait until my 10 AM appointment?, what are the chances this is just a one-off.... Then another big contraction at 3 AM. And then we were off. I called the midwife, Kathy, at the Birth Center again at around 5 AM. Said the contractions were 4-8 minutes apart. She said to call back when they were more regular and closer. For those who have heard the story of S's labor, you'll know that my body has a tendency to accelerate rapidly through labor, so I hastily packed my bag for the birth - clothes for a baby, for me, chapstick, etc.
When Mom and Dad got up around 6, I was downstairs frantically emailing my mother-in-law, since I didn't have her number, and didn't know how to get in touch with A. When I started puffing (we were getting close) Dad headed quickly for the train station. Mom thought she had some time (HA!) and checked her work email. I was in the background saying - Log off! Or there'll be a baby in the kitchen!
We got in the car, and drove the 5 minutes to the Birth Center, arriving about 7:10 AM. I hadn't called back, so Kathy didn't expect us. The cleaning lady let us in. This facility has only 4 birthing suites, and is designed to be as close to a home birth as possible. They only let you stay 4-12 hours after the birth, and then you're home.
So, Kathy makes me go upstairs for an exam. Deja vu! I just want to have the baby, and whoever it is needs to "check" - just trust me - I know what baby feels like! So I was 6 cm and ready to go. Went downstairs, and went right into second stage. Pushed for about 7 minutes, and there you go. Mom was a great help - it is a totally different dynamic to have your mom in the room helping out - less swearing for one, but really quite comforting. Of course, I wish my husband had been there, but in the scheme of things, I've got him for the next few decades, and that's more important. Grace came out and nursed immediately - within 30 seconds. A dedicated little one! She was coated with vernix, and they used waffle-pattern towels to clean her, so at one point she looked like she was covered in plaid!
As she is technically a preemie, they made us stay the full 12 hours. I celebrated with a breakfast of an egg and cheese bagel (I was starving) and then we tried to figure out how to call Air New Zealand to have them page the happy daddy on the flight. (No success!) So he wasn't the last to know, but he wasn't first. He landed around 11 AM our time, and got all of my texts in a flood - he sent me a text that S was great on the flight, and then realized he had a daughter. His response, "Holy Crap!" (Poetic, huh?)
But all things happen for a reason, and this allows me to have two weeks of bonding with the baby before we introduce the rest of the family. Everyone gets their special time.
So we are happy and healthy, and that's what matters.
1 comment:
Welcome Miss Grace!! We can't wait to meet you!
Post a Comment