Thursday, March 11, 2010

Lyuda comes to America - Caveat Emptor

Shopping. That is the word I would use to summarize my nanny's visit to the U.S. You name it, she bought it. Even if it already exists in Ukraine for a decent price and at decent quality. Socks? 25 pairs. Sweaters? 15. Dora dolls? 1. And a big thanks to my darling sister for taking her out - the language of shopping apparently trumps any need for a common spoken language.



We went to Quogue for the weekend. She shopped in West Hampton (pricey!) and bought lots of good tchotchke. More importantly, she saw an ocean for the first time in her life. I was glad we could do that for her - it was a beautiful freezing cold misty strong-ocean kind of day - and you really got a sense of power and majesty. I hope she enjoyed it, I know I liked seeing the ocean through the eyes of someone who never has before. And S and G liked playing ball on the deck, since it was too windy and cold for them to stand much of the beach itself.

But as I kept saying to myself, imagine you lived under a Communist system and were given 2 weeks to shop for anything and everything you could ever want. Wouldn't you go a little crazy too?

No comments: