Monday, June 21, 2010

Tbilisi - Part 2

Jvari, the monastery on the hill, overlooking... Mtskheta, ancient capital of Georgia, where the Mtkvari and Aragvi rivers meet. As I mentioned before, we both wore shorts. When visiting Tsvetitskhoveli Church, the most sacred site in Georgia, where allegedly Christ's robe is buried, I thought I should show some respect. Aaron took a picture of me buying a scarf, not for my head, but to wrap around my waist, to show people I was making an effort.
And here is the church itself, from the outside. It's a UNESCO world heritage site, and with good reason. Below is from inside the courtyard.Above, a view of the scarf that covers my legs, although with the wind, it was more symbolic than functional.
Below is the pillar built on top of the original pillar, which is supposed to house the robe of Christ.

No comments: