I should never have gotten up today. A terrible overwhelming feeling first thing in the morning that it's going to be a bad day is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Day was total crap. Not one productive thing accomplished. I'm tired. I'm cranky. I'm surrounded by incompetence.
On the bright side, I had the distinct honor (?) of attending a baby shower today. For those of you unfamiliar with the custom, it puts normally intelligent, social, influential women together in a room and alternately forces them to gurgle and coo like clucky hens, subjects them to horrifying games and forces them to eat a helluva lot of baked goods. I am still in a sugar coma. One of the games - creative - but ultimately mentally scarring - was to identify 10 different candy bars that had been melted into baby diapers. Yep, that's right. Identify the "poo-y" diaper. (OK, they're called nappies here, not diapers, but you still get the idea.) Singlehandedly, this afternoon managed to not only not/not make me want to have kids, it's put me off of chocolate bars for life. Yes, the baby clothes are cute. No, being that pregnant is not. The ability to create life is sacred, I know, but the inability to bend over and tie your shoes is nothing to envy.
The only thing that could make today worse? Having to go to a political rally this evening. Oh, wait. I do. And I just found out today that I have been tenured at work. On the one hand, awesome! I'm permanent. On the other, I can no longer claim overtime, so I am going to witness a political knock-down drag-out as the cap of a 12 hour day with no ideas of financial recompense to soothe my burning ears.
Thank god the weather forecast for tomorrow (I'm scheduled to play golf) is absolute crap. I'd hate for my funk to lift anytime soon. Grrrr.
No comments:
Post a Comment