Thursday, August 03, 2006

Being Kid-less

The son is in camp until mid-August. Hubby & I are living more like "singletons" than "smug myriads." We've gone out to dinner twice (!!) this wee, and are planning lots of adult activities this weekend (not, that's not dirty - more like going to bars and eating places that don't have an obligatory chicken fingers/fries/burger kid's menu.) I'm actually really enjoying it, but I am a little guilty. Shouldn't I be pining for my lovely son?

I do miss him, and we talk daily, and it's kind of disconcerting how well he gets along without us. He's going to formal dance classes, and swimming with bikini-clad 12 & 13 year olds, playing tennis, sailing and getting in some golf, so he's not exactly suffering. (I am, though - see "bikini" reference above!) My attitude is - enjoy the relative freedom and celebrate while we can - walk around the house naked! (Oops - TMI, sorry.)

In other kid news, a big welcome to 2 new girls on the planet - the daughter of Uber-Brit couple resident in Wellington S&S, who arrived in July, and the brand-new daughter of M&E in Boston, who arrived a couple of days ago. I bet both moms are happy to begin the sleepless nights, endless feedings and the confusion of "How is it I can competently make foreign policy decisions for my country and manage millions of dollars/pounds, but I can't figure out a child who has three needs - food, sleep, diaper?!?" Good luck, ladies - call me at 3 AM if you need to. (I have an answering machine...)

No comments: