Monday, October 23, 2006

Oh, The Humanity!

The latest victim of the escalating U.S. conflict - the internal war between our "native" citizens and our immigrant population. And yet another example of an ally in the War on Terror being rebuked for their service....


US bans Vegemite
Kelvin Healey
October 22, 2006
THE United States has slapped a ban on Vegemite, outraging Australian expatriates there.The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite contains folate, which in the US can be added only to breads and cereals.
Expatriates say that enforcement of the ban has been stepped up recently and is ruining lifelong traditions of having Vegemite on toast for breakfast.
Former Geelong man Daniel Fogarty, who now lives in Calgary, Canada, said he was stunned when searched while crossing the US border recently.
"The border guard asked us if we were carrying any Vegemite," Mr Fogarty said.
"I was flabbergasted." Paul Watkins, who owns a store called About Australia in San Antonio, Texas, said he had been forced to stop importing Vegemite six months ago.
"We have completely stopped bringing it in," he said.
"(US authorities) have made a stance and there is nothing that can be done about it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea! I am officially outraged! Bullsh*t I tell you!!

Oh if only Ambassador Irwin were still with us--he'd fix it. Hmmm, perhaps Sir Paul Hogan can step in. Is he retired?