Monday, October 02, 2006

Bidding Is Like A Lottery With Your Life

Unlike past years, the focus now is on filling difficult jobs first, and then the relatively "cushier" positions. And unlike past years, where "difficult" meant Tbilisi or Beijing or Jerusalem, this year is means Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as a number of other countries with unaccompanied postings - i.e. I can go, but my family can't. This just isn't a time in my life where I want to head off by myself, and with M heading to high school soon, school is supremely important. And this pressure is really unfortunate because we ARE willing to serve in a hard spot - I"m looking at Beijing, Moscow, Lima, Bogota, Lusaka (this is a test of your geography skills!) - all places with difficult living and/or working conditions. I don't know how it's all going to turn out, and I know we'll land on our feet, even though it may be somewhere we'd never, ever considered serving. If I play my cards right, I could know by the winter holidays, but it's also possible I could be into March and have no clue where we're headed. It really is like reaching into the lottery ball machine and pulling out a random number sometimes... except without the $1 mn jackpot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't go to Lusaka. The secondary schools there are not good and very little outlet for a high schooler (and adults) but drinking and getting into asundry other trouble.