An unexpected romantic destination - we took our honeymoon last weekend in Reykjavik. Due to a roundabout set of circumstances we ended up with a two night stay at the Radisson in Iceland. In order to take full advantage of the trip, we thought we would go while M is in the U.S. in Minnesota, and we left S with the nanny. It was like the honeymoon that we never took right after we were married.

It was a lot of travelling - we had to go through Copenhagen and spent a wonderful 5 hour layover in the airport (tips available on what to do there - I recommend the spa service with facials and massage.) And for some strange reasons, in both directions Iceland Air tried to seat A and I in different rows.
(Photo of the special breed of Icelandic horses - not ponies, full-grown horses.)
A brief summary - Iceland is amazing, incredibly accessible - not geographically but culturally, physically and linguistically, and really relaxing. I'm just going to post a couple of photos here, since my toddler helper keeps trying to push the keyboard keys. The first day we did a full-day tour of the Pinvelligir (the site of the oldest Parliament in the world) the Gulfoss Falls - photo here, and the Geysir (which apparently no longer erupts, so they have a substitute geyser.) That night A and I enjoyed a four-course tasting menu of things Iceland is famous for, including local lobster, which was abaolutely phenomenal and almost made me cry, and lamb. Dinner took almost two hours and we had a real conversation, and there was no reason to hurry. It was the highlight of the trip! On Sunday we did a whale-watching tour, and saw minke whales and dolphins. The sea was remarkably calm, so I didn't feel queasy. (There is a direct correlation between getting motion sickness and morning sickness, and I have been blessed with both in life.)
(Photo of me in front of the natural geothermal energy. The start of our tour was to the geothermal plant - they're so environmental!)
1 comment:
Iceland was on our list of honeymoon destinations! Of course we didn't end up there.. but looking at your photos I wish we had! Some day perhaps! An anniversary-moon?!!
Post a Comment