Wednesday, June 30, 2004

An abundance of love is never a bad thing.

An abundance of love is never a bad thing. But the philosophy student in me begs to differ with every absolute statement. Case in point - I am headed home for a visit in August. Ten days of showing my Kiwi buddy my native land. Should be exciting - invigorating - a total nightmare. Scheduling is rapidly proving more difficult than a presidential visit. 51 hours in Los Angeles, with a possible swing-by visit of a) high school friend, b) uncle, c) local NZ consul. Anywhere from 6 to 36 hours in Philadelphia, a mandated minimum 24-hour trip to NYC, requests for side visits because-i-haven't-seen-you-in-ages to New Hampshire, Washington, DC and Ohio. Hmmmm... ten days, 10 cities? (Not counting the 27 hours of plane travel!) Not the restful beach vacation I'd imagined. So, I guess I must forego the love, and stick to my own priorities. At LEAST two days on the beach, doing absolutely nothing. At LEAST one day in Philadelphia. And who knows beyond that. What makes it all so difficult is the fact I'd like to see all of the people mentioned, but not at the expense of what was designed as a vacation.

Maybe I'll just set up digital video conferences and conduct round-table discussions on my life? Technology is wonderful...

No comments: