Tuesday, June 01, 2004

My spirits soared, and I only lost two balls

Happy Memorial Day! As we just celebrated ANZAC Day last month - the Down Under version of Memorial/Veterans' Day, I felt that I had celebrated the military sufficiently, and used the Monday to do errands - like the glamour of getting my car inspected, and the luxury of getting a back massage (see below.)

But Sunday I did the unthinkable - I went golfing! NZ has more golf courses per capita than anywhere else on earth. Fifteen dollars Kiwi for 18 holes. Of course, it was freezing, and the ground was wet, and there were two very New Zealand-esque holes that involved a 50 meter vertical drop surrounded by bog. However, I was stunning - given that I had not played in a year. The ball went straight, my spirits soared, and I only lost two balls. Golf is a very self-fulfilling sport. If you play well, your confidence is high and you only get better. Hit a crpapy drive, though, and you'll be in a river in two strokes, swearing as you hopelessly thrust your expensive club into some brown gooey muck. I figure it's like being a supermodel. If someone paid me to look thin and gorgeous and pouty, and that's all I did, I'd be great. If someone paid me to golf all the time, I'd be fabulous. Unfortunately, I'm tied to the mundanity of a 9 to 5, and probably happier anyway. I like to eat, and too much golf hurts my back.

No comments: