Friday, June 18, 2004

I sprained my ankle imaginary jump-roping in high school

I am limping for the first time since I sprained my ankle imaginary jump-roping in high school. (Followed shortly, of course, by the infamous incident where, while trying to negotiate the main staircase at school I fell and twisted the other ankle.) Athlete of the year, I am obviously not. But last night was a hard-out, full-on indoor soccer match. We had no subs show up, which meant 30 minutes of sprinting in a cold shed on the waterfront against a fully-rested and well-subbed team of Kiwis. We got clobbered. Literally and figuratively - my right knee is swollen, my shin is the color of madonna's '80s eye shadow, and there is an imprint of the soccer ball pattern on my thigh. Weirdly, though.... I feel cool. It's like a badge of honor - I got my butt kicked, but hey, I'm athletic and "hard core." No need to mention the fact that I whined like a baby all last night, and may use the injury as an excuse for an expensive full-body massage this weekend.

No comments: