Our weekend in Odesa was actually both Orthodox and "Western" Easter, which occur on the same day every few years. So Sunday, although we didn't go to church, we did have an obligatory egg hunt. I put about 5 jellybeans into around 6 eggs, and the rest were empty. Hid them in our little two room apartment and had S search for them. The look on her face when she shook one and realized there were "lollies??" inside was priceless. She had the same look of excitement and surprise all day whenever she shook one, which she did a lot since she was shaking herself from all of the sugar! I tried to get a good photo of the whole group but the basket was in the way. Suffice it to say that I tried - I put G in a bonnet, all the girls wore dresses or skirts, and we went out to brunch.

Little G - not so into the plastic egg hunt concept.S looks very mature here ordering brunch at the outdoor cafe. This is Deribasovskaya Street, the main walking street. As you can see, at 10 AM on Easter morning, not so many folks. Oh, and it was the night that the time changed, so for many it probably felt like 9 AM on a Sunday, so that's why the rest of Odesa wasn't out - too hungover. 
Vegetarians beware! Here are Aaron and S in front of the steak sculpture. I guess you can choose your own cut of beef, or identify its orgins? Despite being a vegetarian myself at one point, it was never out of pity for the cow, so I didn't mind when we ate at "Steakhouse" that night - the beef was exceptional!
No comments:
Post a Comment